6.4.07

Something I've learned about community



In serving 3 years as a missionary I have learned that there is much to learn about God, Christianity, living a life of faith, and sharing what I've learned with others. I don't claim to know much about any of these things, but the little I have learned has been of great help to me.

One of the most important things I've come to know is: I can't do life alone.

It is not God's intent for any of us to do life alone. In fact, that was the only "not good" thing about the first 2 chapters of Genesis. ( 18 The LORD God said, "It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a helper suitable for him.") So the truth that we need each other has been very important in ministry, not to mention my own Christian walk.

I WAS MADE FOR RELATIONSHIP

Most people find this difficult to believe, but one of the hardest things for me in school was not mathematics, but making friends. I suffered from a fear of rejection that hindered my willingness to make new friends. Over time, I've come to learn that this fear is very common in most people. The desire for friendship is overcome by the fear of rejection.

PEOPLE NEED TO BE KNOWN
PEOPLE NEED TO BE LOVED
The fear is that people will not love me once they come to know me.

I've often under estimated the power of play. I enjoy a good laugh and I love a good time, but I also am left wanting when the only reason people gather together is for superficial and worthless things. However, when I stoped to answer the question, "What gatherer's people together?" My eyes were opened to the profound simplicity of the answer- What gathers people together is usually what people have in common.

Community or Common-Unity, starts with something in common.

Every other Friday night, Megan and I host a "LOST night." (There seems to be irony in that name) We gather all who are interested, and we project on to our wall an episode of the TV series, "LOST." You will be amazed how many people are interested in that show. It really is a good show. There is an underlining spirituality, and thread of faith throughout the series, but more important then the opportunity for spiritual discussion is the common place for people to gather and share an evening where we can get to know each other, love on each other, and build relationships with each other. It really is in those relationships that opportunities arise for words of prayer, a listening ear, shoulders to cry on, arms to embrace, and a God to point to when all else seems hopeless.

Could a TV show really help create relationships with people that provide opportunities to point to God? They can if you invite another person to join you as you watch it.

Who knows, maybe God can use a show entitled, "LOST" to help people become FOUND.

Well, again, I don't know much, but with the little I do I've seen God use for wonderful things.

Labels: ,

1 people have something to say:

At 6:45 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved this post... it is so simple, yet so profound. Our church actually just finished a series called "The Way", it actually reminded me a lot of Megan's post on being "missional". I think this is another great example of how to use our "way" of life to demonstrate God's "way". Justin and I have watched the Lost DVD's and it always spurs spiritual discussion with us. What a great opportunity to minister while having great fellowship. Long comment, sorry. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home